Cancun Scuba Diving with its beautiful reefs and exotic sea life is one of the best activities the Caribbean has to offer. Explore the bottom of the ocean with great dive sites, dive packages, scuba diving tours and diving certification.
Where to Scuba Dive in the Cancun Area
- Punta Nizuc – Here you are close to the hotels but still along the edges of the Great Maya Barrier Reef, the second largest reef in the world.
- Arrecifes Chitales located by Punta Cancun- This shallow reef (35ft deep) is close to the shore good for both beginner and experienced divers. This is a good spot for drift diving as a constant current runs from the south-east almost year-round.
- Cozumel- The island of Cozumel is surrounded by a reef and makes for many good dive sites. There are many good sites for beginners and experts to explore the waters off of this island. There are also many dive packages offered for those looking to scuba dive in Cozumel.
- Isla Mujeres- There are many places to scuba dive off of this nearby island. Many Isla Mujeres scuba diving locations are great for beginners due to their shallow depth and far visibility. If you are looking for your scuba diving certification, Isla Mujeres is a great place to start. Also, there are places like the Cave of the Sleeping Sharks that are good for experts too.
- The Underwater Museum- Over 400 sculptures decorate this eco-friendly museum under the sea. Located between Cancun and Isla Mujeres.
Cancun Cenote Diving
Cenotes are fresh water pools that are connected to underground caverns, tunnels and chambers. In these underwater “caves” you can explore stalagmites and stalactites that have grown over the years as well as the unique creatures that live in these mazes. Diving in the cenotes is a popular Cancun activity because the conditions are not impacted by weather and the fresh water gives great visibility and moderate water temperature. Some of the best cenotes for scuba diving are near Tulum.
Cenote diving can be dangerous and it is recommended that you take special course in cave diving. Make sure that the scuba diving operator you choose is certified to dive in the cenotes as not all operators are certified.
Cancun Scuba Diving Tours and Packages
You can also buy diving in packages. For example for around $250 you can get 2 two-tank dives in Cancun and 1 dive in Cozumel. A lot of hotels in the Cancun area also offer packages that include Cancun scuba diving with the hotel stay.
Cancun Scuba Diving Certification and Courses
There are two ways to get ready to scuba dive in Cancun. The first is a resort course which goes over basic theory and practice. This will only certify you to go scuba diving on your Cancun vacation. If you are interested in diving other places after your vacation to Cancun, you want to get an Open Water Certification. Getting your Open Water Certification in Cancun makes it so that you can dive anywhere in the world.
Cancun scuba diving operators also offer more advanced courses such as Rescue Diving or Master Diving. Some places even offer instructor courses and specialty courses like Cavern diving. AquaWorld offers many specialties for those who already have their Open Water Certification like courses on fishing identifying, night diving and cenote diving.
Instruction usually last from 3-4 days and costs around $350-$400 dollars. Most places that offer Cancun scuba diving instruction are PADI certified.
Cancun Scuba Diving Tips
- Bring an underwater camera
- Make sure your scuba diving equipment fits.
- A fun alternative to regular diving that many operators in Cancun offer is night diving.
- Staying in Cancun gives you a good central location for dive spots. It’s near Isla Mujeres, yet easy to travel to Cozumel and other great spots.
Cancun Scuba Diving Operators
When dialing the local number from the U.S. or Canada, always dial 011 52 (998) before the number shown.
|Cancun Divers||849-4739 Ex 122|
|*Marina Club Lagoon||849-4745|
|Marina Punta del Este||168-8495|
* indicates PADI certification